Corner of Capitol Ave & Jefferson St, Jefferson City MO 65101573.634.6482 Map it Address
Volunteers on Site Mid May-Mid Sept
Sat 10am-4pm; Sun 2pm-4pm
Available upon request year round
A Lewis and Clark monument next to the Missouri State Capitol recognizes the city's connection to the historical expedition made by Lewis and Clark. The monument is near the corner of Jefferson Street and Capitol Avenue on the capitol grounds overlooking the Jefferson Landing Historic Site and the Missouri River. Dedicated on June 4, 2008, the plaza includes Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, York, George Druillard, and Seaman. The sculpture commemorates the date of June 4, 1804 when the Corps of Discovery encamped in the area which eventually became the state capital. In addition to the statues, several waterfalls, walkways and benches are located within the plaza creating a beautiful landscape. Open 24 hours. From May to September, volunteers will be stationed at the monument from 10am-4pm on Saturdays and 2-4pm on Sundays. Docents will also be on duty from 10am-4pm on Memorial and Labor Day. Sessions typically last between 15 and 20 minutes.